Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Lab B1 Reflection



The above video is my third time teaching a four minute lesson in EDU 255. It didn't go as smoothly as my previous lesson. I can make the excuse that I had presentations and work in other classes, but the fact is I need to do a better job on time management when this is the case. Because of my poor time management this time, I had a bad visual aid; I didn't practice as much as I should have; and my lesson wasn't as good as it should have been.

The following is a list of things that I incorporated in my lesson:

- Introduction: introduced myself
- Hook: gave a common scenario in ultimate frisbee and stated how it prevents a team from scoring and doing an endzone dance
- Cues: I established and taught the two cues in my lesson, which were pivot and pass
- Demonstration: I demonstrated what I wanted the students to do. I had a student defending against me and another student waiting for the pass. I performed the cues, pivoted and passed.
- Asked if there were any questions about the activity
- Safety statement: be alert
- I walked around and gave feedback. I reminded them that the challenge was to do two or three pivot moves before passing the frisbee.
- Checking for understanding: I asked them how to recall the pivot cue at the end of the lesson and show me how it is done
- I ended class with an endzone dance and told them we would start our first game next class to get them excited for it.

The following is a list of things that I didn't do well in my lesson:

- Signal for attention:
- Statement about expectation: I tried to throw one in, but it was specific and clear what it was. I said, "By the end of the day we should all be able to do an endzone dance." This went with my hook about not being able to score because of a defender is on you and preventing the team from doing an endzone dance. The statement implied that by the end of the day they should be able to do an endzone dance, which would mean that they learned how to get the pass off around the defender to score. I will have to be more clear on what I expect next time.
- Common faults: I didn't demonstrate of describe any common faults
- Visual aid: my visual aid was small and not colorful
- I turned my back on the class while walking to the visual aid to show them
- A couple students were talking during the lesson, and I didn't ask them to pay attention and stop talking.
- At the end of the lesson when I told everyone to bring it in, two students didn't hear me because they were at the other side of the gym. I didn't take into consideration that the gym space was much larger this time and honestly didn't realize they were all of the way on the other side of the gym.
- I had my watch on, but I forgot all about it. I didn't look at it to see when I started so I didn't have that resource to let me know how much time elapsed and had to kind of guess what was four minutes. The lesson ended up being four minutes, but I need to remember to use my watch next time.
- There was quite a bit of waiting time while everyone was coming back at the end of the activity.
- Update: As I was looking at the feedback analysis form to fill out, I realized that I gave feedback, but I didn't say any names.

Time Coding

Feedback Analysis

Transcription

No comments:

Post a Comment