Thursday, October 28, 2010

Lab B2 Reflection


The above video is my fourth time teaching. Right after I was finished teaching my lesson on leading with the backhand pass in ultimate frisbee, I was very disappointed with how it went. I forgot things that I wanted to say just minutes after going over it with Dr. Yang. I seem to always draw a blank as soon as I start my lesson for some reason. I'm optimistic that this occurrence will cease to exist over time. After some time to think it over it didn't go as badly as I thought. One of the problems I put upon myself was my insistence that I incorporate everything on the C-9 form into my lesson. That is one of the reasons why I probably forget things because I try to put too much stuff into my short and simple lesson. Another thing that this affects is my time coding within my lesson. Because I try to incorporate everything on the C-9 form in the short time that I have, I spend too much time instructing and not enough time in activity.

Within my lesson I incorporated the three domains of teaching. The class ran and caught the disc for the psychomotor domain. This would be NYS Learning Standard 1a and NASPE Standard 1. For the cognitive domain, I asked the class to recall the cues to the backhand pass in the beginning of the lesson and to tell me one of the common mistakes while leading a partner with the backhand pass at the end of the lesson. This would fit in NYS Learning Standard 1a as well and NASPE Standard 2. The last domain, the affective domain, was incorporated into the lesson by having the students work in groups of three. They also had to interact while performing the activity. This would fit into NYS Learning Standard 2a and NASPE Standard 5.

The following is a list of things that I incorporated in my lesson:

- Introduction: I introduced myself.
- Hook: I asked how many people had brothers or sisters and then if anyone was an only child. I told the only child that it was their lucky day because we were all going to be brothers and sisters.
- Cues: I had the class think back and recall the cues to the backhand pass.
- Demonstration: I demonstrated what I wanted the students to do.
- Common faults: I told the class some common mistakes when leading a partner with the backhand pass.
- Safety statement: I reminded them to be alert.
- Feedback: I walked around and gave feedback. I provided some general and skill feedback that was congruent to my lesson.
- Checking for understanding: I asked them to tell me a common mistake when leading a partner with the backhand pass.

The following is a list of things that I didn't do well in my lesson:

- Visual aid: I made a visual aid but forgot about it.
- Signal for attention: I didn't tell the class what my signal for attention was.
- Statement of expectation: I didn't provide one.
- Demonstration: I only demonstrated once and not really at full speed.
- Common faults: I didn't demonstrate the common faults, only told the class.
- Feedback: I provided feedback to less than 50% of the class.

Transcription

Time Coding

Feedback Analysis



No comments:

Post a Comment