I went to the NYS AHPERD Conference at Turning Stone Resort & Casino from November 18-20. I also attended our mini-conference on campus so I figured it was going to be similar to that but just on a slightly bigger scale. It was like our mini-conference but on a MUCH bigger scale. There were so many presentations; it was hard to choose which ones to go to. First off, the keynote was awesome. The speaker was Coach Jim Johnson from Greece Athena basketball. He is the coach of the autistic player "J-Mac" as seen on ESPN. I loved his presentation. As for the sessions, I tried attending both coaching and physical education sessions because I am very interested in both.
Here are some of the sessions I attended:
- Education of a Sports Season
- Moral Integrity in Sport and Athletics/Beyond the Gymnasium Doors (jumped back and forth)
- The Role and Responsibility of Educators in Youth Sports
- Managing Relationships: A Key to Success in Athletics
- Wanted: Teachers Thinking About Becoming a Director
- Intentionally Developing Character in Your Student/Athletes
Overall, it was a fun time, and it got me thinking about new ideas and rethinking old ones. It is definitely worth it, and I look forward to going again next year!